Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Family Math

Finding a teaching job in Southern California right out of a credential program is not an easy task.  Many of my friends and classmates were successful in securing jobs in the area, but many had to wait until the very last minute (2 days before school started!!) to hear back from schools, and I HAD to get to work.  I was lucky enough to land a job in Northern California right after I graduated in August and had a whopping 14 days to move into my new home and classroom. My husband and I moved to a new city on a whim and I wish I could say things are fabulous, but the truth is, I miss my family and friends. I do my best to keep in contact by calling, texting and doing the facebook thing, but sometimes it just isn't enough. I have been using personal story-telling (with an occasional exaggeration) to keep interest high and the kids love it. Plus, I get to remind myself how lucky I am to have such wonderful people in my life.  One thing that has emerged from this practice is what I have dubbed "Family Math."

It serves two wonderful purposes: I get to tell funny, mostly true stories about my family and the kids get really excited about math problems.  This is our most recent chart and they were really concerned with the task of finding the correct number of horseshoes for Morgan's horses.  They even asked me if she knew we were going to figure it out for her, so I actually texted her during our lesson to make sure she knew :).  It's also really fun to share pictures of our charts with my family and friends so that they know I'm thinking about them.  Win/win! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower and also new to the blogging world. Although I did stalk blogs for many months before finally starting my own!

    Latricia
    Wild About Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also new to the blogging world! I just had to post on here because I love your family math idea! I am in my 4th year teaching but my husband and I moved from Michigan to Washington so that I could get started with my career. I had never even been to Washington! I totally relate to how you are feeling and I teach third grade too!

      Delete